test Digest, Vol 80, Issue 85

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Oct 30 04:44:55 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 19:26 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> PS The guidelines don't go far enough. Replying to a digest even if
>>> you change the Subject line is still going to annoy a lot of people
>>> because it breaks list threading. Digests are an obsolete artefact
>>> that really only works for people who just read list traffic and
>>> never reply.
>> I don't think this is true -- at least not for if you use the
>> mime-style digest.  It's trivial in most clients to reply to
>> individual messages from the mime-style digest and have proper
>> threading, subject, etc.
> I wasn't aware of that. I think the last time I received a digest must
> be over 10 years ago. Does "most clients" include Evolution, Thunderbird
> and Kmail (which I'm guessing are probably the top three on these
> lists)?

Just because I *hate* speculation I subscribed my wife's email to the
digest of the fedora's user mailing list.  She uses T-Bird.

For each message in the digest there is a separate mime-part/attachment
and the list is shown in a frame at the bottom of the email.  All of the
mime-parts are display inline so you can scroll down and read them in
one "easy" motion.

One issue is that there is no number for each attachment that matches
the number in "Today's Topics" to make it easier to relate the numbers
to the attachment.  But, you can easily count, going left to right.

Assuming you pick the correct attachment, you simply double click on it
to read the individual email and you can reply to it and it alone and
the resulting subject is "correct" in that it isn't the digest subject.

The only thing I've not done....since I don't want to annoy the list
with a test....is to actually reply to see if threading gets maintained.
>> (We changed the users list to default to mime-style digests a few
>> months back.  We haven't had any complaints yet and I think that the
>> amount of replies to the standard digest have gone down.  We also
>> filter those, so they get flagged for moderator approval, which lets
>> us tell the poster not to reply to digests and saves long threads on
>> the merits of digests and etiquette. ;)
> So why not change the Test list as well?

Now that I read the above I guess I should have subscribed her to this
list's digest too...  :-)