What is this mega-dvd-test?

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sun Oct 31 05:14:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 08:32 -0400, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso is too large (5.2 gigabytes) for a normal DVD
> with capacity of 4.7 gigabytes or so.  Aha! It must be intended for a USB
> flash drive with capacity of 8GB or greater...
>
>   [root at ryniker ryniker]# cmd/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr --overlay-size-mb 1024 --home-size-mb 1024 --unencrypted-home fedora/F14/Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso /dev/sdh1
>   Verifying image...
>   /home/ryniker/fedora/F14/Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso: Could not get pvd data
>   Unable to read the disc checksum from the primary volume descriptor.
>   This probably means the disc was created without adding the checksum.Are you SURE you want to continue?
>   Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort
>
>   WARNING: THIS WILL DESTROY ANY DATA ON /dev/sdh!!!
>   Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort
>
>   Waiting for devices to settle...
>   mkdosfs 3.0.1 (23 Nov 2008)
>   ERROR: /home/ryniker/fedora/F14/Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso does not appear to be a Live image or DVD installer.
>   Cleaning up to exit...
>   [root at ryniker ryniker]#
[snip]

Richard,

I burned this oversized iso image to an 8.5GB DVD+R(DL) disc, then used
it to successfully boot a 64-bit laptop with a BluRay drive. It displays
a grub menu with (I think) sixteen separate entries.

Like you, I'm running into trouble with livecd-iso-to-disk. I'm seeing a
couple of different problems:

# livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /home/doc/Downloads/Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso /dev/sdc
Verifying image...
/home/doc/Downloads/Fedora-14-Live-multi.iso: Could not get pvd data
Unable to read the disc checksum from the primary volume descriptor.
This probably means the disc was created without adding the checksum.Are you SURE you want to continue?
Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort

WARNING: THIS WILL DESTROY ANY DATA ON /dev/sdc!!!
Press Enter to continue or ctrl-c to abort

Warning: The resulting partition is not properly aligned for best performance.
Waiting for devices to settle...
mkdosfs 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
Cleaning up to exit...
umount: /media/cdtmp.6Ci76u: not mounted

This is on a fully-updated 32-bit F13 system, attempting to write the
image to an 8GB USB drive formatted to FAT-32.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL