Fedora 14 Nightly Compose Install

Bob Cochran bcochran13 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 1 01:22:14 UTC 2010

  Someone kindly pointed me to
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/ to grab a Fedora
14 live image and I helped myself to the "Deskstop" x86_64 image
yesterday. Installed this on an old x86_64 system with an Asrock
motherboard. The installation actually went pretty nicely and was quick,
and it did sort of boot. But the boot process came to a halt with an
error message that I've forgotten and dumped me into a bash shell, when
I was expecting a graphical login screen. A 'yum update' didn't fix
things. Running 'startx' from the bash prompt didn't work. I did ome
Googling and maybe I'll check the grub configuration for 'nomodeset'
entries to remove. Maybe I'll just install Fedora 13 on this hardware
and wait a bit on 14 even though Firefox x86_64 in Fedora 13 appears to
bring the entire graphical system to its knees. Or maybe there is a bug
in metacity.

Thanks

Bob Cochran