Why was a kernel-2.6.34 pushed to updates that had un-addressed bugs.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 18:16:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 17:09 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Matthias Runge
> <mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote:
>

>         Although I think, this is the wrong way, putting
>         exclude=kernel-*
>         in your /etc/yum.conf will exclude the kernel from updating.
>
> Thanks Matthias,
>
> I don't like excluding kernels either, but I don't need to be adding
> --exclude=kernel\* to each run of yum update until this is resolved,
> and since there's an open bug for this, I'll know when it's resolved
> because I'm following the bug.  At this time I can allow the new
> kernels again.

There's no guarantee the bug will get closed even if the problem is
fixed, unless someone else has the same hardware as you and is testing.
A fix may come down from upstream without being recognized specifically
as a fix for this particular Fedora bug report - a lot of stuff comes
down from upstream, and there's no guarantee the kernel team will match
up every upstream change to Fedora bug reports without assistance from
testers.