Why was a kernel-2.6.34 pushed to updates that had un-addressed bugs.

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 03:38:55 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----
From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
To: For testers of Fedora development releases <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 10:10:11 PM
Subject: Re: Why was a kernel-2.6.34 pushed to updates that had un-addressed
bugs.

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 12:12 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
>> It is however, perfectly reasonable to expect that having tried a
>> kernel at the request of a fedora developer on fedora-test-list and
>> then having filed a bug against said kernel reporting problems, that
>> someone might actually have a few minutes required to actually ask a
>> few more questions and try and address the problem.
>>
>> Otherwise, why did they ask for feedback if it was just to be ignored?
>
> To be frank, they don't have time to look at everything, and suspend is
> a bit of a way down the list. They are aware of your bug - I know
> because one of the kernel team asked me if I was aware of any problems
> with 2.6.34 more serious than suspend issues, so obviously they've seen
> yours, but haven't had time to respond to it yet.

If they don't have time to look at everything, then maybe they should stop
shipping kernels they haven't looked at! Really, people who needed 2.6.34 could
pull it from updates-untested and the rest of us could have working systems.

Back in the FC3-4-5-6 days stuff released seemed to work, but in the last two
years there have been more and more things shipped which broke existing
installations. It feels like there is more effort to get lots of stuff out fast
even if it doesn't work, if it breaks things for users, etc. I doubt many people

would lose bladder control if the next release was slipped a month so the
regressions in the recent stuff could be fixed. The video drivers are another
example, about half the systems which worked on FC9 have broken video on FC13,
and the same goes for getting every new this and that in FC14, aren't there
responsible adults who either limit the feature set or slip the release? Someone

like Linus who is willing to say "enough."

Remember the old commercial "We will ship no wine before its time?" FC14 needs
to mellow and FC13 is turning to vinegar. At least this time I'm not the first
or only unhappy user.

--
----- End of Original Message ----

I am actually dissapointed that Fedora which had a reputation of "living on the
edge" is not actually doing so.  A 2.6.34 based kernel when 2.6.35.4 is the
current kernel?  If I want a recent kernel, I have to do so by compiling and
installing myself and not depend on Fedora for doing it.  I wonder what it is
happening and when they release a kernel, it breaks a good deal of things :(

*NOTE*
On Fedora 13 x86_64 the 2.6.34 based kernel is running OK, but it is a regular
desktop, I have yet to install it on a Laptop I have.  On Fedora 12, a 2.6.32.X
kernel is still being used?  No 2.6.34 yet.  I am hoping that Fedora will
surprise everyone with releasing a 2.6.36 kernel (when it is released), there
might be a shortage of testers?

I am still a happy Fedora user, but with no internet connection at work, I have
not helped in testing Rawhide/Fedora 14

Regards,

Antonio