Why is avahi-daemon being started?

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Wed Sep 8 19:00:54 UTC 2010

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:39:55 +0200
> drago01 wrote:
>

>>> finally squash avahi-daemon :-).
>>>
>> What did it ever do to you?
>>

> I utterly despise all "helpful" software that automatically
> "discovers" things and triggers annoying sequences of
> events on my computer. If something happens, I want it to
> be because I told it to happen :-).
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/stick/stick.html

I'm inclined to agree with Tom here.  While I wouldn't choose the the
word despise, I have found the avahi-daemon to be annoying, including
the fact that in current releases of Redhat, if I use chkconfig to
disable it, updates turn it back on again and as Tom pointed out, it has
so many dependencies, that the only way to remove it is to ignore the
them.  For most of the servers that I build, security is an issue and a
part of my approach is to disable all unneeded services.

So anything that I disable, I did so for a reason, and I find that a
system that keeps trying to say, no, you really don't want to disable
this and finds ways to turn it back on again is in conflict with my
approach to security.  This includes updates as well as startup scripts.

Nataraj