[Test-Announce] Systemd Test Day on Tuesday 2010/09/07

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:06:03 UTC 2010

On 09/08/2010 07:48 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> I disabled some services and I noticed something interesting - it
> almost doesn't speed up the boot process.

First of all...

Systemd does parallelization startup which means if you disables a
service it will make little to no effect speeding up things and just FYI
benchmarking anything on any Fedora release when it's in development
stage is generally not a very good idea...

We have several debugging option turned on that skew any kind of
benchmarking/performance testing .

Secondly...

As is clearly stated in on the feature page for systemd [1]

"The readahead packages need to be adapted for systemd. readahead is
currently one of the very few packages using upstart specific features
and hence is not activated when booting with systemd. However, due to
the more aggressive parallelization, disk access is much more random
when systemd is used and hence the effect of readahead considerable. Or
to put it the other way round: unless we have readahead systemd won't
perform any better than upstart/sysv during bootup on rotating media. On
SSD systemd is considerably faster though in every case as readahead is
not necessary there."

Which means if you are on rotating media you may or may not experience
faster bootup.

And let's not forget that faster bootup is just one of many systemd
superiority to the old traditional way of doing things.

Thirdly...

As Lennart has mentioned [2].

"Well, with some newer systemd features (that we'll probably enable for
fedora in f15 [1]) we are currently measuring bootups of < 7s (and a pid
<500) from grub to panel showing up on the screen. (that's kay's X300
with ssd on a modified opensuse), 5s or so are actually spent in gnome
of those."

Lennart's primary focus ( and others ) have been on making the
transaction to systemd as painless as possible and when those issues (
and any bugs encountered ) are out of the way then If and only if
Lennart has the time within the F14 development time frame he will try
to convert readahead.

Forthly

I think it shows a good sign of health when users seem to repeatedly
forget that we have not hit beta yet :)

JBG

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd
[2]