Why was a kernel-2.6.34 pushed to updates that had un-addressed bugs. / Every OS sucks!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Sep 9 21:39:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 04:23:12PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 00:14 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 23:18:00 -0500,
> >   John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > And of course Network-Manager isn't optional anymore.  Oh no, you can't
> >
> > You can still run the network service. You use chkconfig to turn it on.
> > If you don't need wireless, turning off NetworkManager doesn't seem to
> > be a problem, but it's also possible to run both at the same time.
>
> No it isn't.  If NM isn't managing a connection to the Internet then
> Firefox (fixable), Evolution, Empathy and almost certainly other apps go
> into offline mode.

Really?  I do not know about Evolution or Empathy and surely not
about "almost certainly other app" but this is from two different
F13 installations:

# chkconfig --list NetworkManager
NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

Both are running desktop and firefox did not require any fixes not to
go into offline mode as long as network was active.  Nor I have seen
so far any other problems.

It may help if you will make desired network interfaces explicitely not
NM controlled as by default they are.

   Michal