F14 Branched -- hard freezes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 06:43:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 00:07 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Adam Williamson
> <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>         Check kernel logs and X logs after rebooting, see if there's
>         crash
>         notifications in either. (You'll want to look
>         at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
>         rather than Xorg.0.log). What's the gfx card?
> Thanks, I'll check that out, though I doubt that there'll be
> anything... I have intel 945. Another interesting thing is, I logged
> into a different account (which I use to testing/playing around) that
> currently has gnome-shell (as opposed to composited metacity) and so
> far after more than an hour no freeze. I'll see if it's still running
> tomorrow.

Ok, that wasn't it. It froze in gnome-shell as well. In the exactly same
moment when external USB HDD was waking up (initiated by ls -l on some
folder in it). So over night I run full fsck on it. No errors reported,
but right now it seems to work (at least I wasn't able to reproduce the
freeze in single user mode, I'll see if it appears again in init 5).

/var/log/Xorg.0.log* and /var/log/messages show no traces about the
freeze.

Martin