heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 02:26:59 UTC 2010

Micha� Piotrowski (mkkp4x4 at gmail.com) said:
> >, in particular since
> > the thing that was perceived as lacking was mostly system integration.
>
> ???
>
> I do not understand this argument. Upstart is still lacking of system
> integration. All scripts are sysvinit style, so it's not integrated.
> So what's the point in upstart buzz? Equally, it could be to return to
> sysvinit - because it's more stable, more documented and better
> integrated than upstart :)

Hypothetical example:

- F-14 has systemd-10 in the repo
- there's some bug in an included systemd service file in an app that
  needs fixed.
- oops, to do that right requires an updated systemd package, say, version 12
- the version of that in rawhide include updated units that override
  parts of the initscripts startup, halt, and other services
- you then backport... what, exactly? And how much effort is it worth
  to work on fixing this, rather than fixing F-15?

Bill