heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 08:08:24 UTC 2010

2010/9/15 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:
> Micha� Piotrowski (mkkp4x4 at gmail.com) said:
>> >, in particular since
>> > the thing that was perceived as lacking was mostly system integration.
>>
>> ???
>>
>> I do not understand this argument. Upstart is still lacking of system
>> integration. All scripts are sysvinit style, so it's not integrated.
>> So what's the point in upstart buzz? Equally, it could be to return to
>> sysvinit - because it's more stable, more documented and better
>> integrated than upstart :)
>
> Hypothetical example:
>
> - F-14 has systemd-10 in the repo
> - there's some bug in an included systemd service file in an app that
>  needs fixed.
> - oops, to do that right requires an updated systemd package, say, version 12
> - the version of that in rawhide include updated units that override
>  parts of the initscripts startup, halt, and other services
> - you then backport... what, exactly?

a fix for service file

> And how much effort is it worth to work on fixing this

I guess that is that this is the work of package maintainer.

>, rather than fixing F-15?

Ok, so the same argument can be used before F15 Beta. Systemd is not
ready, because it may require fixing in stable (it's a common
knowledge, that Fedora packages must meets the same criteria as RHEL
packages in terms of stability - only fixes for critical bugs), so
let's revert to Upstart again - Systemd will be a great feature for
Fedora 16 :)

> Bill

Regards,
Michal