heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 15 14:21:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 14:51:56 +0100,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 08:42 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > This should cover how to add new services. I needed to start svscanboot
> > at boot. This used to be something in inittab, that I needed to futz
> > with for upstart. It didn't seem to work in rc.local and when I tried
> > reading the systemd documentation it seemed sort of fuzzy as to what
> > I needed to do. I eventually got it working, but it would be nice to
> > have some more clear cut examples in different cases.
>
> rc.local should work fine with systemd, it has a service which should
> just run rc.local. You may have hit a transitory bug where this service
> wasn't enabled, in which case you'd have to enable it manually, but that
> was fixed and wouldn't have affected people who didn't run pre-releases.

I suspect that was the case, but it would have still been nice to be able
to quickly redo something custom from the old init or upstart. While
rc.local would be usable, the process was intended to start earlier and
doesn't exit. I think trying to background it from rc.local was one of
the issues I ran up against.

I am not so concerned about what the solution is, but about how to easily
figure out what the solution should be.