What do consumers wishing to use systemd in F14 need to do?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 22:23:15 UTC 2010

  On 09/15/2010 08:44 PM, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Matthew Miller<mattdm at mattdm.org>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:41:36AM -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
>>> Is this all I need to do in order not to regress my system? I wish to
>>> continue to use systemd in F14.
>> What are you wanting to get out of having your system using systemd at this
>> point?
> I understood that systemd would be available as an alternative in F14?

No it wont.

That seems to be general misconception in the community that it is. (
otherwise systemd spin only would be created )

If you want systemd you will need to upgrade to rawhide which I don't
recommend until after alpha ( things usually have settled down around
alpha ).

Bear in mind that there is no certainty that systemd will be in F15
FESCO ( and others) just assume it will be.

Lennart may very well choose to delay systemd until F16 since the window
of opportunity of having the necessary community resources dedicated to
systemd has passed .

The benefit of getting this in F14 was to get over the migration step so
you could focus on optimisation/enhancements and integration with *DE
and other stuff during the F15 cycle.

The migration step has not been removed it just got delayed ( atleast )
six months with less resources to spare.

The Gnome Desktop team cant afford weeks of invasive introduction of new
code resulting in broken rawhide during the F15 cycle if they are going
to be successful migrating to Gnome3 ( which systemd does ).

Our soldiers on the front  ( Fedora forum channels etc which often seem
to get forgotten ) would only have to deal with systemd migration
problems after F14 got released and then could focus directly on Gnome3
migration problem after F15 got released instead of having to deal with
both at the same time in F15 which puts a lot of strain on those resources.

This is why I said it was unwise decision to reject this feature during
this release cycle and I'm sure if FESCO bothered to do their due
diligence and had done some research spoken to all parties involved then
look at the options and weight them from wider community perspective
their decision would not have been throwing this away because of some
hypothetical bug encounters and some few missing docs ( that were being
looked at ).

Just my $0.02

JBG