What do consumers wishing to use systemd in F14 need to do?

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Sep 16 10:25:30 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 12:10 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>    On 09/16/2010 09:39 AM, Dennis J. wrote:
>> On 09/16/2010 12:23 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Lennart may very well choose to delay systemd until F16 since the window
>>> of opportunity of having the necessary community resources dedicated to
>>> systemd has passed .
>> Wow. In one moment systemd is ready to be included as a critical component
>> shortly before a release and in the next it is in such bad shape that it
>> needs to be worked on for a whole year before it can get included?
>> If what you say is really the case than I guess it was actually a good
>> decision to not use systemd in Fedora 14.
>>

> ?
>
> Systemd is in good shape actually better than some other stuff we have
> shipped.
>
> It got rejected because apparently it lacks documentation ( which was
> being looked at ) and hypothetical bugs scenario ( which you cant deal
> with until you actually encounter the bugs ).
>
> So I dont see what you are getting at in this response.

The reason for systemd not making it into f14 was that it entered the game
rather late and that there are a few issues left to deal with that people
already pledged to work on (for bug numbers see some other recent mails on
this list on this topic). Nevertheless people felt uncomfortable to commit
to this in the end.
Given that there is now a 6 month time horizon for the next release I don't
see why you are already painting a doomsday scenario that would delay
systemd further. If that happens then you should complain then and there.
It's not useful to accuse people of dealing in "hypothetical bugs
scenarios" and then resort to hypotheticals yourself.

> Next development cycle ( F15 ) most resource will most likely be
> dedicated to Gnome3.
>
> It's a question about how smart it is to ship and introduce both systemd
> and Gnome3 to our end user base at the same time is, not that systemd is
> in somekind of bad shape or not ( which it's not ).

Since there isn't much of an overlap between the features and systemd
already seems to be in great shape I don't see the problem here.

Regards,
   Dennis