nss in updates-testing - more problems

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Sep 16 16:57:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:24:30AM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 09:48 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > So, you should not have installed nss-tools.i686 manually.
>
>  Ah - but yum update did not work without installing it. I imagine when
> I added the i686 libs - I did not do it right ...

Why you needed those?  It appears that if you will try on your
system 'package-cleanup --orphans' then you will get quite a list.

>  I could find no clean way to make the box multiarch aside from adding
> missing libs that the 32 bit apps called for ..

"Multiarch" does not necessarily mean every possible thing both in
64 and 32 bit variants.  But if you have such ambitions then add to
your repo definitions 'fedora32' and 'updates32' which will look
in principle like what you have already but instead of
"arch=$basearch" they will have an explicit "arch=i386".

>  Is there a correct way to install all i686 libs for which I have x86_64
> ? Something like yum --multiarch=i686 install-libs.

See above but do not be surprised if you will bump into file
conflict on occassions.

>   There must be a proper way to make a box multi-arch - it was not an
> option during install as far as I could tell.

Your box is already multiarch, unless you mean something else under
this name,  but if you will install 32-bit compilers, for example,
then they better will not be in the same $PATH as "native" stuff.
You may fare better with a virtual 32-bit (sub)installation if you
have such plans.

   Michal