Question: how to keep /var/lib/yum/plugins/local small?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 20 13:16:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 09:28 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 08:04 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> > What plugins do you have installed? I only get:
> >
> > # pwd
> > /var/lib/yum
> > # du -hs *
> > 1.2M	history
> > 0	rpmdb-indexes
> > 4.0K	uuid
> > 9.0M	yumdb
> >

> Hi Steven,
>
> cd /var/lib/yum
> sudo du -hs *
> 4.6M	history
> 3.8G	plugins
> 296K	rpmdb-indexes
> 4.0K	uuid
> 19M	yumdb
>
> Installed yum plugins: yum-plugin-local (has not been installed
> explictly, but automatically!)

1. yum-plugin-local is not installed automatically by anything
2. repomanage can help you keep the local repo to a reasonable size use:

    repomanage -o /var/lib/yum/plugins/local
      that will print out a list of the 'old packages'

    then:
       repomanage -o /var/lib/yum/plugins/local | xargs rm -f
     will remove them.

    then:
       createrepo -d --update /var/lib/yum/plugins/local

     will update the repo to remove those pkgs.

-sv