Grrr... modprobe.conf

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Sep 21 14:33:33 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 11:56 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> >> Looks like it's a minor security hole too:
> >
> > Not sure I'd call that minor considering what you can do via entries in
> > that file.
>
> You can blacklist the firewall modules - it can be critical :)

Why on earth would that be critical? The firewall is just a band-aid. If
it does anything useful, your system was broken (or infected) already.

Seriously, if there is *any* case where the lack of firewall would be
'critical', please file a bug for that.

There are *much* more interesting things that someone could do with
arbitrary write access to /etc/modprobe.conf

--
dwmw2