VirtualBox-OSE and F14

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 22 08:53:22 UTC 2010

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg <at> gmail.com> writes:

>   On 09/22/2010 08:01 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:21 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> >
> >> It seems it would be better to open a Rpmfusion BZ
> > Right. This isn't a Fedora package.
> >
> > (The problem is that it hasn't been rebuilt against Python 2.7, BTW. I
> > imagine there's some kind of problem with this, or it would probably
> > have happened already.)
>
> The recommended procedure when testing virtual images is to use the
> virtual solution(s) we ship.
>
> I'm a bit curios on why so many of you choose to use VirtualBox instead
> of the Virtual Machine Manager.
>
> Do you think that Virtual Machine Manager is to hard and to complicated
> to use?
>
> Are there any specific features that Virtual Box has which Virtual
> Machine Manager does not?

VirtualBox seems much more polished. For me, compared to VirtualBox, KVM guests
are sluggish (I have AMD-V enabled in the BIOS), sound doesn't work (I haven't
checked if there's an existing bug), and there doesn't seem to be anything
corresponding to VB's guest additions, so I can't copy and paste between the
host and the guest (which is aggravating when the guest is so slow but I have to
bring up a browser in it when using fedora-easy-karma). Unfortunately,
VirtualBox usually doesn't work for test releases (14 and Rawhide), so I use
VirtualBox for 12 and 13, and virt-manager for 14 and Rawhide.