VirtualBox-OSE and F14

Michel Alexandre Salim fedora at michelsylvain.info
Wed Sep 22 09:14:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:31:43 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> I'm a bit curios on why so many of you choose to use VirtualBox instead
> of the Virtual Machine Manager.
>
> Do you think that Virtual Machine Manager is to hard and to complicated
> to use?
>
> Are there any specific features that Virtual Box has which Virtual
> Machine Manager does not?

VirtualBox does not need full hardware virtualization, still has more
polished desktop integration, works cross platform, is mostly open-
source ... and now supports running OS X (albeit Server) as guest.

I tend to run both VBox and KVM, depending on what the situation
requires. KVM tends to be much better at running BSD guests, for
instance. I've never really used VBox-OSE though -- the VBox build from
upstream, which has the proprietary bits, is easier to use; it came with
the source files for the kernel module, and thus you can adjust to a new
kernel with a simple init.d command.

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/