why does "yum distro-sync" downgrade pidgin.i686 0:2.7.3-1.fc14 and libpurple.i686 0:2.7.3-1.fc14

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 22 14:48:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 16:38:41 +0200,
  Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> I runned because of curiosity reasons the command
>
> yum distro-sync,
>
> and this command downgraded the installed pidgin.i686 0:2.7.3-1.fc14 and
> libpurple.i686 0:2.7.3-1.fc14  to
> pidgin.i686 0:2.7.2-1.fc14 and libpurple.i686 0:2.7.2-1.fc14.
>
> What could be the reason for this?

If you mean in general why do things sometimes get downgraded in F14,
then there are a couple of possibilities.

After things end up in updates-testing, they can be found to have problems
and get removed. This this would result in you having in installed version
later than the latest available version.

They can also get moved from updates-testing to stable. The stable repo
is getting rebuilt once a day at a relatively consistent time. The
updates-testing repo gets rebuilt out of sync with this. So moved updates
can disappear from updates-testing up to about a day before they show up
in the stable repo. So when you check for updates you might not see the
one you got from testing that is one its way to stable. But after a short
while it will be available again. This is pretty much just an issue with
the branched release if you have updates-testing enabled.