Broken dependencies with Fedora 14 + updates-testing - 2010-09-22

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 08:59:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2010 09:44 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>     contacts-0.12-2.fc14.i686  requires  libcamel-1.2.so.19
>
> I've "fixed" this by unpushing contacts from updates-testing.  There is
> an evolution(-data-server) update in the works which is in the
> buildroots, so all these evolution-data-server using packages need to
> coordinate their updates pushes accordingly.

<rant on>

I would be very nice if the evolution maintainers would bother to
follow the policy that all the rest of us have to follow of either
notifying or actually doing the grunt work of the rebuilds. During the
entire F14 release process there's been numerous soname bumps (5-6 if
memory serves me correctly) requiring rebuilds of dependent packages
with exactly NO notification. What makes them feel so fricken special
especially being a core desktop and hence presumably a critical path
package that they don't need to adhere to the rules that the rest of
us do. Having a chain of a good dozen packages that depend on e-d-s
and associated that invariably need tags to be rebuilt against other
dependant packages this is time consuming and tedious and I'm bloody
well sick of it!

<rant off>

Peter