[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Beta RC3 Available Now!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:57:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:38 -0600, Petrus wrote:

> > When booting this installation, I arrive at gdm's greeter without
> > any firstboot procedure. No user account is available except root.
> > Firstboot package is installed, but not added to any runlevel.
> > What has gone wrong?
>
> I had this a coupla weeks ago. No sweat, just log in as root, open konsole or
> go to the command line and run firstboot and set everything up, then reboot, or
> perhaps just log out and in as the desired user.

Working around it by repairing the installation is doable, of course.
I know how to fix firstboot. More interesting is to find out what has
gone wrong.

And this is what has happened:

F14 RC3 installer fails to set up the "Installation Repo". That's
where I get a "Device or Resource busy" error dialog. And then it
sets up http repos _automatically_. Now, since I disabled updates-testing
it retrieved packages from a stale http mirror somewhere in Germany.
That's where it got the old firstboot package. Paying attention to it,
it becomes obvious, as in the final package customisation screen,
the "Installation Repo" is missing, and disabled Fedora 14 base repo
is impossible because it will result in a warning.

A bug. F14 RC3 i386 DVD iso is broken.

F13 x86_64 installer doesn't suffer from that problem when using exactly
the same steps to install it.