[Test-Announce] Fedora 14 Beta RC3 Available Now!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 08:03:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:13:29 -0700, Adam wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 19:57 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > A bug. F14 RC3 i386 DVD iso is broken.
> >
> > F13 x86_64 installer doesn't suffer from that problem when using exactly
> > the same steps to install it.
>
> ajwerkman and robatino both marked this test as passing in the matrix:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_14_Beta_RC3_Install

Which test exactly? ajwerkman opened an own thread on this list on
Sep 21st ("Harddisk installation fails") and commented on the
"Device or resource busy" error message that I've see, too.
The only difference being that if the installer can enable an
Internet connection _automatically_, it will proceed with a HTTP
install from a stale mirror instead of the desired packages on
the DVD image: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/627789

With regard to further installation testing, the next thing I tried
was NFS install. Installer found and downloaded images/install.img
but then "failed unexpectedly [1/1]" before starting the graphical
installation. Maybe it couldn't handle the DVD image? I extracted
the image to build a full installation tree and verified that the
place was NFS-mountable. Installer failed again at the same place.

Next thing I tried was going back to the hard-disk install and then,
where it fails with "Device or resource busy" and cannot setup the
"Installation Repo", I set up that repo _manually_, pointing it at
the installation tree on the NFS server. That worked! Though, it
complained about the first package ("setup-..."), which was present
and accessible from the shell in the mounted place, but only after
clicking "Retry" three times, the installer accepted it and then
continued with installing 1175 packages without any further complaints.

--
NFS install is back somewhere on my todo list of things to re-examine
occasionally. ;)