Harddisk installation fails

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Sep 24 17:02:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 11:34 -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> I was getting this failure on a harddisk install until I removed an
> extraneous
> .iso image in the directory holding the dvd .iso.
>
> It seems that anaconda is a bit simple when it comes to the hd
> install, and
> doesn't know anything about the names of the images, just the .iso
> extensions.

Yes, to my recollection, there has never been a great way for the
installer to know what ISO files it should use when pointed to a
directory multiple ISO images.  Going by the ISO filename isn't a
perfect method either.

If this ends up being part of the cause for this problem, it may be
worth adding another 'important' admonition to the installation guide
[1] to note reminding that *only* the ISO image(s) needed for install
should be present in the supplied partition:/dir

[1]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/ch04s07.html

> Anaconda should have the "Harddsik" repository option in its repo
> select menu
> but the maintainers have opted not to include it.
>
> It would also be nice to see anaconda being able to pull from a
> fully-expanded
> hard disk repo in addition to the ISO images, but the maintainers have
> opted to not implement that feature.

As with any development project, more code, more maintenance, more
testing, more bugs.  Hard drive ISO installs are still available, but, a
I understand it, are not the most common installation method given the
setup involved.  I'm sure they'd be willing to review patches that
enable this support for anyone inclined, but I don't know the teams
future plans for repo support in the installer and how such a feature
would fit.  We can move that discussion to
anaconda-devel-list at redhat.com.

Thanks,
James