Harddisk installation fails

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:39:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:37:53 -0400, James wrote:

> > On the test machine, partition sda5 contains an ext3 fs and several subdirs
> > to hold the ISO images for various distributions.
>
> Ah, that could be part of the problem.  Will need to dig a bit more
> though.

It would be a rather stupid problem, because one explicitly points
Anaconda at the directory where to find _the_ one relevant ISO image.
Everything else in subdirs of parent dir ought to be irrelevant.

> Thanks, can you also show me (or upload to the bugzilla) ...
>
> # mount/dev/sda5 /media
> # find /media -type f

$ find /media -type f
/media/1264/Fedora-12-x86_64-DVD.iso
/media/1264/initrd.img
/media/1264/images/install.img
/media/1264/vmlinuz
/media/1364/Fedora-13-x86_64-DVD.iso
/media/1364/initrd.img
/media/1364/Fedora-13-x86_64-CHECKSUM
/media/1364/images/install.img
/media/1364/vmlinuz
/media/rhel6/initrd.img
/media/rhel6/images/install.img
/media/rhel6/RHEL6.0-20100414.0-AP-x86_64-DVD1.iso
/media/rhel6/vmlinuz
/media/rhel6/SHA256SUM
/media/14/initrd.img
/media/14/Fedora-14-Beta-i386-CHECKSUM
/media/14/images/install.img
/media/14/Fedora-14-Beta-i386-DVD.iso
/media/14/vmlinuz

> > This has worked fine with Fedora 13 (and various older dist releases).
>
> I think the key variables here are the installer and the contents of the
> partition /dev/sda5 used.

The more often you repeat that, the more it smells like a broken
"find files" implementation that doesn't stay in /14 but strips off
one path component too much and hence expands the search to / of the
partition. Something like that.