F14 Beta RC3 install from DVD is a world of hurt.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Sep 26 02:22:54 UTC 2010

On 26/09/10 03:43, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried just about everything over the last 12 hours to get F14 Beta 3 to
> install from DVD with no success.
>
> I've been booting from the DVD and found that at the repo selection screen,
> only internet repos are found. The install DVD is lost and the installation
> will not proceed without downloading all packages from an internet repo.
> This defeats the purpose of having a DVD... I could see the packages in
> /mnt/sysimage (I think), and the DVD was certainly present, just ignored.
>
> All in all, for a Beta GOLD release, I would have at least expected the DVD
> installation to be tested before RC3 was declared gold :(

I've done a bit of thinking about this and with a bit of reflection I'm
wondering about the process that happens before something gets declared
release worthy.

Apart from the bugs we all know exist in bugzilla (fixed or not), does
anybody actually run the install before whatever currently gets declared
RCn and if that is good enough to be released?

With the rapid transition from RC1 -> RC2 -> RC3, I observed the overall
install process from DVD deteriorate quite substantially from the
F14-Alpha DVD. This leads me to believe that installation from DVD was
not tested before RC3 was declared gold. I am however hoping this is not
the case and will gladly be corrected.

Yes, I do understand that F14 is still in Alpha/Beta, is not guaranteed
to be perfect, and may eat small children, I believe that before we as a
community declare something to be a milestone that we at least do some
basic QA testing.

Peoples thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au