test Digest, Vol 79, Issue 99 - Watch for U3 partition on USB sticks

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue Sep 28 14:28:55 UTC 2010

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:52:42 +0100
> From: mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Fedora QA] #134: Clarify writing ISO to USB tests
> To: nobody at fedoraproject.org, For testers of Fedora development
> 	releases	<test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Fedora QA <trac at fedorahosted.org> wrote:
>
>> #134: Clarify writing ISO to USB tests
>> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>> ?Reporter: ?rhe ? ? ? ? ?| ? ? ? Owner:
>> ? ? ?Type: ?enhancement ?| ? ? ?Status: ?new
>> ?Component: ?Test Review ?| ? ? Version:
>> Resolution: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | ? ?Keywords:
>> --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
>> Comment (by adamwill):
>>
> snip
>
>> ?The ISOs we have to consider are:
>>
>> ?* Live images [[BR]]
>> ?* DVD images [[BR]]
>> ?* boot.iso / netinst.iso images [[BR]]
>> ?* install.img image [[BR]]
>>
>> ?The writing methods we have to consider are:
>>
>> ?* dd (and equivalent utils, e.g. Windows tools which just do a simple raw
>> ?image like dd does) [[BR]]
>> ?* livecd-iso-to-disk [[BR]]
>> ?* liveusb-creator [[BR]]
>> ?* unetbootin [[BR]]
>>

> There is possibly more to it as well - for example in the past I have
> tried the dd method and it sometimes works and sometimes does not -

FYI:Beware of Sandisk Micro USB sticks with hidden partition for running
applications (U3). They are not always marked on packaging and this
partition must be
removed in Windoz by running U3 application. Normal gparted formatting
does not remove it. It will interfere with normal booting
Tom Gilliard