The most recent F14 updates damage my system

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:38:51 UTC 2010

> Thanks Artem, I've added this to F14Blocker list, as it clearly impacts
> the final release criteria if all systems fail to boot.
>
> This updated required a few additional steps in order to rollback the
> glibc update to return to a working system.  As with anything, there are
> many different ways to accomplish this.  In case folks are interested, I
> included my recovery procedure below ...
>
>     1. Boot into a rescue system (this could be the F14 installer
>        rescue-mode, a previously installed Fedora on another partition,
>        or a Fedora Live image).  In my case, I have an F13 partition on
>        my system.
>     2. Identify and mount your F-14 installationrescue-mode will locate
>        and mount the partition for you).  If not ... some manual steps
>        may be required.  For me, it involved unlocking the encrypted
>        partition ...
>              * UUID=$(cryptsetup
>                luksUUID /dev/mapper/vg_flatline-f14_root)
>              * cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/mapper/vg_flatline-f14_root
>                luks-$UUID
>              * mount /dev/mapper/luks-$UUID /tmp/f14
>              * mount -t proc proc /tmp/f14/proc
>              * mount -t sysfs sysfs /tmp/f14/sys
>              * mount -t selinuxfs selinuxfs /tmp/f14/selinux
>              * mount -o bind /dev /tmp/f14/dev
>     3. Downgrade glibc* packages.  Again, for my recovery procedure,
>        this involved ...
>              * yum --installroot=/tmp/f14 downgrade glibc*
>     4. Reboot your system into Fedora 14 ... and wait for a new and
>        improved glibc update to test
>
> Thanks,
> James

Sadly this isn't working for me, I get an error from yum stating that it was
unable to load yummain. I have tried booting from a f14 alpha rescue disc
and from a f3 rescue disk as well as working from a f13 live image and none
of the above works to downgrade glibc. Any other alternatives?

Thanks,
-Erinn