since last update system does not boot any more

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 18:58:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 21:40 +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:

> Did you found any way how to force systemd to boot to single-user? So far
> my installation of F15 with systemd has only one runlevel, I can not
> switch it - nor with grub option, neither with inittab or init command.

systemd doesn't really use runlevels any more, but it has backward
compatibility with them; inittab doesn't work (and there's a comment in
it to this effect), but grub options and 'init' command are supposed to
(and have done for me when I've used them). If this isn't working for
you, please file a bug against systemd.

systemd's native concept is 'targets'; graphical.target is roughly
equivalent to runlevel 5 and multi-user.target is roughly equivalent to
runlevel 3. rescue.target is roughly equal to runlevel 1, and there's
emergency.target that's more or less what it sounds like. IIRC, the
'native' kernel parameter you can use to specify a particular target is
systemd.default , so you could try:

systemd.default=emergency.target

or

systemd.default=rescue.target

as kernel parameters and see if those work.