F15 and GNOME 3

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 09:20:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

Regarding F15 and GNOME 3.

I just installed F15 with GNOME 3 out of curiosity, after reading so many
comments for and against.

The first impression I have is that the system is very responsive - I assume
thanks to kernel-2.6.38's group scheduling, but it could be the new underlying
GNOME 3 architecture as well (I hope so).

I hope that GNOME 3 devs will concentrate on its architecture and performance
issues - this is where the benefit will be most obvious.

Unfortunatelly, the GNOME 3 user interface, or the so called "user experience",
is a step backwards - I can not believe that basically the same bunch of devs,
having gained so much experience with functional and easy-on-the-user GUI, has
come up with this chaos.

They should consider returning to the proven way of handling menus in
GNOME 2, as a  basis for some minor adjustments, and that's all.
I say no to these menus on desktop space as it is now.
They have to address the menu system seriously.
They should think about continuity (see remarks below regarding the money-
paying customers with their conservative users base).
If they can unnerve tolerant-for-"progress" techies like me, they can only
imagine what's coming from that users group.

We know that Fedora is a dev environment, but it is also a feeder to RHEL-like
business systems, where the world looks a bit different, to say it mildly.
You should take it into consideration.

You have to consider the mass of corporate, organizational, and private
RHEL and its clones (and other distros) systems in long-term deployments,
reaching life expectations of up to 8-10 years - this is the base you should
be concerned about in the context of long-term support.
And they use GNOME 2.x and KDE 3.x/4.x desktops. And they are conservative in
their approach to a change - it is very costly in particular in terms of
training and productivity of end users, who are often not "techies".

That's all for now.

JB