Gnome 3 and VNC

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 19:36:52 UTC 2011

Followups to the list, please.

On 4/4/11 1:07 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 06:46 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> On 4/3/11 8:06 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>>> How is Gnome 3 going to work with VNC, which does not do 3D?
>>
>> Why do you think VNC needs to "do 3D" to work?
>>
> Gnome 3 seems to need 3d to work ... at least it won't work
> with basic video or Noveau

That's a statement about getting Gnome 3 to display in the non-fallback
mode.  It's not a statement about what your VNC server needs to
implement to scrape pixels out of the display.  In fact most of the VNC
servers just use XGetImage() for that, which is the same thing
screenshot software uses.  So to the extent that screenshots work under
gnome-shell, VNC servers should too.

> I am running Fedora 14 on omen.com. It has two VNC
> sessions which I access from the comfort of my office.

I assume you state this with an implicit "I'd like this to still work in
the future" as the subtext?  Otherwise I'm not sure why you'd mention it.

- ajax