since last update system does not boot any more

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Apr 5 13:04:01 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 12:57 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 10:49 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>
>>   Indeed ... there is something simplistically elegant about:
>>
>>     3
>> vs
>>     multi-user.target
>
> Or, you could look upon it as 'utterly cryptic'. At least
> multi-user.target takes a shot at explaining itself. 3...3, well, not so
> much.

 Well i can't argue with you there  .. :-) But 3 and 5 mean so much to
us at this point too ... but hey I can move on .. even if you make me
type so much more .. ;-[]

 Actually, since systemd supports a lot more than 3 run levels (that we
use) ... it is far more powerful in principal - tho I am not sure how we
use that increased functionality yet ..

 But I would still prefer shortening the option somewhat and making the
extension ".target" assumed by default and therefore optional - assuming
there is no ambiguity. So:

   ... --unit=multi-user

 would be equivalent to:

   ... --unit=multi-user.target