Suspend/hibernate on systems that don't suspend/resume or hibernate properly

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at
Wed Apr 6 21:29:59 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 04:22 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Fabian A. Scherschel (fab at said:
>>> I don't think it does this (hybrid suspend), it just suspends.
>> So we are knowingly risking people's laptops just running out of battery in
>> a bag somewhere and their systems dying with possible data loss? As the
>> default?
> Hybrid suspend has never really been supported. You certainly can choose
> to hibernate instead of suspend-to-RAM.
> Bill
My worry with hybrid suspend is that the disks will spin up at exactly
the wrong time, when I'm banging my bag around, and damage the hardware.
 I generally think about suspending vs. hibernation vs. power off before
putting the computer away.

I'd like to see all available options when I press ALT instead of just
shifting from "suspend" to "shutdown".

-- Steve