RFE nm-connection-editor put back into nm-applet

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Apr 8 15:08:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 10:02:47AM -0500, Brian Millett wrote:
> With the new NetworkManager, to edit connections, I need to launch
> nm-connection-editor.  It would be nice to have that as an option in the
> nm-applet (like it used to be)
> --
> Brian Millett - [ Delenn (re: Japanese stone garden), "The Gathering"]
> "On my world, there are books, thousands of pages, about the power of one
>  mind to change the Universe. But none say it as clearly as this."

Right, I noticed on the F15 Live Beta TC1 that I cannot easily connect
to WPA2-Enterprise networks.  Clicking on the network in the network
icon doesn't do anything at all--no attempt to connect, no connection
editor dialog pops up, nothing.  Also, clicking Network Settings
doesn't have any way to edit the WPA2-Enterprise connection either.
The Options... button stays greyed out.

I had to go to overview mode to launch nm-connection-editor manually
just to be able to connect to the wireless network.

I think if a network requires more credentials to connect, the Gnome
Shell applet should pop up the connection editor, and/or the
Options... button on the network control panel should be active and
also launch nm-connection-editor.