Gnome shell corruption

Massimo Gengarelli gengarel at cs.unibo.it
Fri Apr 8 19:31:51 UTC 2011

> The reason this is a fallacy is that you haven't established that the
> level of OpenGL support is the *only* difference between the
> configurations in question, and it certainly isn't. There are all sorts
> of others. As Ajax says, it's likely not to do with the exact level of
> OpenGL support available, it's more likely just a bug in the problematic
> hardware / driver combo.

I strongly hope you're right, but I really think that the bugs I listed
in my previous mails (especially those related to Mutter) depend on some
OpenGL's features that are missing.

I'm assuming that because I've experienced the same bugs using Ubuntu's
new shell (Unity). Unity has some checks for the OpenGL version
hardcoded, hacking through the code and removing them made the shell
start up with the same identical bugs (white lights where drop shadows
should have been, ...).

Digging into the code I discovered that the way Unity draws drop shadows
around the panels is by using some GL functions that require the
extension GLX_texture_non_power_of_two to be active.

Mutter suffers the same bugs.

More than that, my video card (ATi Radeon 9200 PRO) will never be able
to use the missing extensions, just because the hardware is way too old.
I'm not complaining against GNOME developers or Radeon's drivers
developers, both are doing an excellent work and it's quite normal that
hardware becomes obsolete after more than 6 years.

Again, I'd really love to be wrong because I'm really missing GNOME
shell here ;-)

--
Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel at cs.unibo.it>
According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either,