Release Criteria for image sizes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 9 14:34:54 UTC 2011

Should there be release criteria for image sizes? Would we block the release
because the the install image was larger than 4 GiB (which would effect
downloads) or 4.7 GB (which would prevent it from being put on many DVDs)?
Would we block because a CD sized live Desktop or live KDE image was over
size?

Recently there was an issue where a late change bumped the KDE image over
CD size and then there was an even later reversion just before the freeze
to get it undersize again, that reminded me to look for release criteria for
image sizes.

My opinion is that for the Alpha and Beta release oversize images aren't
that big of a deal, since they genrally won't impact testing significantly.
I think for final it makes some sense to have a criteria for over size
images, particularly for CD sized live images that are allowed to block
the release for other issues.