Release Criteria for image sizes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 9 15:32:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 14:59:43 +0000,
  Andre Robatino <robatino at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno <at> wolff.to> writes:
>
> The current criterion (which is an Alpha requirement on the install test matrix)
> is at
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size

That looks reasonable and certainly we want to be looking at that at the
alpha, but I am not sure that failure results in blocking the release.
We do have a page now that lists the target size for each spin. It is
at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Spins for F15. The main
difference is that nothing is targeting 4.7 GB.

The question I had was is there or should there be a release criterion
at some point where we would block the release because of an oversize image.

> The sizes are basically those for fitting on the corresponding media. The
> openSUSE download page
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/
>
> shows DVD ISO sizes bigger than 4 GiB for a while now (at least as far back as
> 11.1).

Spins SIG decided against going over 4 GiB for spins because then the file
wouldn't be downloadable onto FAT file systems of which there is still
significant use. As time goes on we will probably change that, but for now
I think it is a reasonable restriction. It pretty much only affects the
games spin currently.