since last update system does not boot any more

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 12 16:36:53 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 3:21:09 PM, Richard Ryniker wrote:
>>On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 10:49 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>>   Indeed ... there is something simplistically elegant about:
>>>
>>>     3
>>> vs
>>>     multi-user.target
>>
>>Or, you could look upon it as 'utterly cryptic'. At least
>>multi-user.target takes a shot at explaining itself. 3...3, well, not so
>>much.
>>--
>>Adam Williamson

> One can reasonably argue for either scheme, though Adam might be acused
> of a desire to destroy venerable historic traditions of mystic Unix
> incantations...

> I should think "3" presents very little problem for internationalization,
> whereas "multi-user.target" demands translation before it "explains
> itself" to non-English-speaking users.  Because these are descriptive
> file names, not just message text, and they are used fairly early in the
> boot process, I doubt translation is easy.  Feasible, certainly, but
> messy and therefore unlikely to happen.

I  think  these should be viewed more as keywords, or reserved phrases
and not subject to translation.

This is similar to a C program, where one has 3 cases:
- Comments and literal string can have nearly any value.
- Variable names are only restricted in the character set that can be
  used.
- Language keywords must conform exactly.

Having  them  be  NLS-sensitive  in a global subsystem in a multi-user
environment  (where  each  user  (or  even  process)  is able to use a
different locale) seems to me a recipe for disaster.

Al