F15 beta rc2 gnome and keyboard issues

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:26:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM, James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > What is present in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard ?
>>
>> KEYTABLE="us"
>> MODEL="pc105+inet"
>> LAYOUT="us
>
> Can you confirm whether the following update resolves this issue?
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/control-center-3.0.0-1.fc15,gnome-settings-daemon-3.0.0.1-1.fc15

This package fixes the crash when entering the keyboard option - but
it did not immediately allow me to set/get a UK keyboard.  I tried
Adam's suggestion of using system-config-keyboard but that did not
solve the change of keyboard issue either - eventually I went into the
region and language setting and added English(UK) - I am not sure at
what point I realised but in the top taskbar in Gnome3 there appeared
"en" which was not there before (presumably when adding the
English(UK) option) - but clicking on that then allowed me to switch
to English(UK) and from that point I did have a UK keybooard mapping
active.

I don't know if there is a simpler way of switching to the UK keyboard
but that seems awkward and user unfriendly - maybe I just missed the
obvious method if there is one?

--
mike c