EFI install (F15 beta rc2)

Josep Puigdemont josep.puigdemont at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:41:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

I followed the instructions for installing FC15-Beta (RC2) on an EFI
system, and can confirm that the "Testcase Boot Methods efidisk.img"
passed without problems, at least for x86_64. Can I put a check mark on
that test [1], or should someone from the QA team do that?

Then I also want to report a couple of issues:

The installation went smoothly, but when it finished and was about to
reboot, the kernel panicked (didn't copy the stack trace sorry). I don't
know if this is a known issue, I could file a bug report if you feel
it's necessary.

Then I run into a problem when booting Fedora, as it just brings me to
the grub prompt. I figured grub wasn't able to read the config file, but
that doesn't seem to be the case. The grub.conf file in the EFI
partition seems fine. Then I tried to manually type at the grub prompt
the relevant commands I found in grub.conf:

grub> device (hd0) HD(...)
grub> root (hd0,1)
Error 5: Partition table invalid or corrupt.

That error seems a bit odd, as the partition table appears to be fine
when I boot from a live CD disk (it's anaconda's default partition
table).

To test further, I did the EFI install of F14 and found the same issue.
Could it just be a problem with my hardware, perhaps?

Any pointers on how to debug the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/Josep

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Installation_Test#General_Tests