Virtualbox upgrade fedora 14 to 15 RC 2 -- video driver ABI error

Joshua Andrews woodguy552010 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 21:27:49 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

I did a fresh install from fedora 15 beta x86_64 DVD iso in a new vm and gnome
seemed to be working okay  but after yum update and installing "KDE Software
Compilation" the gnome  desktop became

unusable as though all the windows were trying to draw  themselves at a 45
degree angle -- even the desktop wallpaper 'stripes'  was canted.

I had to switch to "multi-user-default" so I could add a new user with  KDE. I'm

running that right now --it is at least usable but does seem to  lockup during
high network, audio, and graphic usage.

The vbox vm has 2 gigs of ram allotted to it and 128 megs of video, 3d enabled,
2

processors, 64 bit fedora. The host is a dell inspiron laptop, windows 7, intel
i5, 6 gigs ram, 1 gig ati video.

When it freezes first apps stop responding but the mouse works and you  can
change between desktops but you can no longer Ctrl + Alt +  Fn into console
shortly thereafter everything freezes and the machine has to be reset.

I'm not sure what to report. The gnome desktop seems to steal all input from the
keyboard and mouse I can't even open a new vt to view logs. I've had to hard
reset my host, win 7, because I couldn't get out of the frozen gnome desktop.

I'll keep messing with it and see if the problem is other than just the
vboxvideo but the behaviour  seems to indicate that that is it.

-J