GNOME 3 Test Day coming

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 22:43:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 17:43 -0300, Michael Wiktowy wrote:

> Is Gnome 3 targeted to be useful on small display netbooks? If so, it
> might be good to have some QA test case that targets
> usability/functionality on them.
>
> I have noticed with mine that many dialog boxes are forced to have a
> minimum vertical size that is greater than 600 pixels (the typical
> vertical resolution for many netbooks) and that pushes many
> Cancel/Apply buttons off screen with both built-in Gnome dialogs (like
> many Gnome Settings) and external apps (like Disk Utility).
>
> Otherwise, Gnome 3 seems quite ideal for netbooks.

I think upstream has a minimum vertical resolution they consider
practical, but anything which doesn't fit in this is considered a bug. I
can't recall off the top of my head if that's 600 or 768 pixels. File a
bug on one case and see what they say.

(as a workaround, alt-drag still works: hold down alt key and you can
click-and-hold _anywhere_ in a window to drag it around, not just the
title bar. Using this, you can drag a window off the top of the screen
to access elements at the bottom.)