nvidia/nouveau problems

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Apr 20 13:33:02 UTC 2011

Per Bothner wrote:
> I got a new Sandy Bridge i7 laptop with nvidia/optimus graphics.
> I managed to install the new KDE beta, after a few problems.
> However, there seems to be some issues with nouvaeu trying to
> start up: One issue is errors messages and slowness starting up:

[snip]

> My preference would be to just use integrated graphics, and
> completely disable the nvidia graphics.  Unfortunately, there
> doesn't seem to be a way to do that from the BIOS, at least
> not the visible BIOS control settings.

There is not an option in the BIOS because laptop manufacturers think
you're going to use the operating system that was pre-installed. Optimus
is not supported in any shape or form by nouvaeu or the NVIDIA
proprietary driver.

In other words, you're screwed until someone reverse engineers it or
NVIDIA supports it. Search for "linux optimus" to find dozens of other
frustrated users.