nvidia/nouveau problems

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Wed Apr 20 18:32:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 13:12, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:21, Per Bothner <per at bothner.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2011 10:00 AM, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>> > On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:14, Per Bothner <per at bothner.com
>> > <mailto:per at bothner.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     I did try hard to get a laptop with just integrated graphics, but
>> >     they're
>> >     very hard to find, especially once you get to mid/upper-end with i7
>> >     quad-core
>> >     Sandy Bridge.  Most of them have nvidia/optimus.  A few have ATI,
>> which
>> >     would
>> >     of course be my strong preference, but there are very few choices,
>> >     especially
>> >     if you want to avoid a glossy screen.
>> >
>> > All of the ThinkPad line can meet these requirements and work out-of-the
>> > box with no proprietary bits.
>>
>> Yes, if you limit yourself to i7-2620M.
>>

> Chips higher than the 2620M do not have Intel graphics (Ironlake) and so
> they must have discreet video from either NVidia or ATI.

Actually, that's not right. In Sandy Bridge generation, it might be a
thermal problem. 2620M is the highest part that stays inside the 35W
envelope which has been as high as Intel mobile parts have gone,
historically. It sure seems that companies are only shipping these 45W chips
with laptops that also have cooling assemblies for discreet graphics. Also,
in the T520 series, the motherboard is slightly different.