Multiple F15Beta bugs in under an hour

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 21 02:35:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 20:39 -0500, John Watzke wrote:

>    Are you saying that ABRT didn't download debuginfo packages?  For a
> while now (not just F15) debuginfo isn't installed at install time.
> It just automatically gets downloaded when ABRT tries to generate the
> backtrace and it caches them in /var rather than installing them as
> full RPMs on the system.  If ABRT didn't actually download the debugs
> that's actually a bug and you probably should report it.

It tried to download and failed.  The failure dialog suggested running
'debuginfo-install gvfs'.  That also failed.  Apparently yum can't find
glibc-debuginfo and a couple others.

>         Launch firefox and display the About popup.  Notice anything
>         missing?
>         Yup, the only way to be rid of it is to stop FF and kill off
>         xulrunner-bin.  Or perhaps xkill?  Is this a window manager
>         (mutter?)
>         bug?
>
>    Not that I specifically agree with it but popup windows like the
> about window are dismissed with the Esc key rather than a close
> button.  Gnome-shell has some minimalistic design decisions in it
> which will take some getting used to like the lack of a minimize
> button and the alt button press for a shutdown.  That last one seems
> fine for desktops which I run 24x7 but not necessarily laptops which I
> tend to shutdown and pack away.

Personally I consider GNOME3 a regression.  After trying F15Alpha I went
ahead and switched my desktop to XFCE since I have zero desire to
relearn everything.  But I wanted to test the main release in the
interest of giving the best feedback.