Multiple F15Beta bugs in under an hour

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 21 02:42:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 19:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> I think the OP has a good bead on this. It is rather silly to change
> the paradigm (no close button on popups) and expect people to use the
> ESC key instead. Use the ALT button to shut down? What kind of lunacy
> is this? I can't believe it takes THAT much more code/CPU to implement
> a close button and leave the shutdown mechanism alone regardless of how
> "minimalistic" they want to be.

Especially confusing since the window is still decorated with a thick
bar at the top implying that SOMETHING should be there.  Since they took
away all the buttons and the title they should go ahead and suppress the
bar.

> <rant>
> This sounds like change for change's sake and makes no sense
> whatsoever. The more I see of Gnome's silly decision making process,
> the less confidence I have in them. Surely Red Hat has some pull with
> these people. How about using a bit of it to quash these stupid plans?
> Red Hat can't realistically expect a RHEL release based on F15 and this
> sort of idiocy to fly with their customer base, do they? Seriously?
> </rant>

GNOME3 is more like an experimental university project 'to explore what
we could do if we toss everything we know about existing user interfaces
and start from scratch!' and it is now poised to ship as the default UI
on one of the major Linux distros.  I have a very bad feeling about
this, suspect it will end badly.