postfix versus sendmail

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:16:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious why sendmail is still the default on f15?
>
> I notice RHEL 6 now defaults to postfix, which is odd since
> fedora usually leads the way on things like this.
>
> Does the person with final decision making power on the
> default have 15 years invested in getting his sendmail
> config to work? :-).

No, not a conspiracy just that everyone has an opinion on it so the
default has remained.

I personally believe that there shouldn't be one installed by default
at all and then the decision is left to the user.

Some spins already go that route as there's nothing in the default
desktop that needs a mail server any more.

Peter