Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Rob robert.swain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:12:20 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 06:03, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 07:29 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> You could try just learning a bit about it before writing it off
> forever.
>
> Sound advice.  The discussions going on seem a lot like the ones going on
> when KDE 4 started to arrive.  The paradigm has changed (radically?) and it
> takes some time to adjust...if one is willing.
>
> I'm not a GNOME user.  But, I did try it for a few minutes today.  (Will try
> again when I have more time.)  But, I did find one thing that seems
> annoying...unless there is a trick.
>
> Pardon if I get the nomenclature incorrect.....
>
> When you mouse-over "Activities" in the upper left your get a selection of
> "Windows" and "Applications".  The available "Windows" are shown over on the
> right side.  It seems, that if you want to pick a window you have to move
> your mouse first all the way to the left...then all the way to the right.
> Too much mouse movement for me.  Is there a way to bring up the Windows
> selection with a key-combo or another less motion intensive method?

The logo key or alt-f1 bring up the activities overview. Or you can
alt-tab to switch applications or alt-<key above tab> to switch
windows within an application.

FOR EVERYONE: https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet is well worth a read.

I found Gnome Shell very natural and easy to use, but I was using
gnome-do before for launching applications. So, I went from have
gnome-do and pressing logo-space, typing a few characters and pressing
enter when it displayed the app I wanted to launch, to just having
Gnome Shell, pressing the logo key, typing a few characters and
pressing enter to launch the app.

For example, logo, f, enter launches Firefox for me. It's very quick
and efficient and much better than browsing menus, but you have to
know that you can type characters to find an app and press enter to
launch it.

Regards,
Rob