Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Angel linux463291 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:37:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think Gnome3 has the potential to work very well but it is new and
> it is a learning curve. There are some things I would like to know
> will get included - for example will there be some alternative themes
> available at F15 release?  I would like to be able to change the style
> of windows that open for applications - eg are there equivalents to
> the nodoka or glider window decorations that have existed for some
> time in Gnome2 ?

There has already an extension gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme, it will
allow you to apply a style from ~/.themes/[Theme
Name]/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css. Afaik, there has already a gnome3 theme
available on gnome-look.

> I have been testing the last available iso for the Gnome 3 test day in
> the past evening or so - and it is certainly working much better than
> a few weeks ago though there are still some bugs that remain and it is
> not always fully stable yet - there is time before final GA though!
>
> I am also still not clear on whether it is easy to create a launcher
> for a program that is not in the system by default - for example if I
> want to run a nightly build of Thunderbird, and I have the binary
> available on the system, can I set up an icon that will be in the dash
> to launch it in the analogous way to setting up a custom launcher in
> Gnome2?

A .desktop file needs to be placed in /usr/share/Applications or
~/.local/share/applications/.

--
Angel
Give me Linux.. ..or give me death