Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Apr 22 16:08:23 UTC 2011

On 04/22/2011 11:57 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 11:37 AM, Angel wrote:
>

>> A .desktop file needs to be placed in /usr/share/Applications or
>> ~/.local/share/applications/.

  Someone made a  comparison to Mac OS being new and different as a goal
- that was not the case - the Mac UI was designed to be sufficiently
obvious for most things and strove for elegant simplicity ... we will
see if gnome-3 achieves a similar end .. it is a bit early yet.

  Simple, as an aside, does not demand minimalism ... I am a fan of
Occam's razor - as an example - the standard model in physics - while
the simplest one to be sufficient in explanation (and predictability) is
by no means minimalist .. in fact it is quite complicated .. just ask
those quantum field theorists who work in the field!

  Elegance and simplicity are good goals .. but they still need to be
sufficient as well .. minimalism by itself is not a good goal ...
gnome-3 seems to be more minimalist than elegant simplicity ... by
design or accident is unclear to me.